Loading articles...

14-year-old killed in Surrey shooting, two murders within 24 hours not connected: IHIT

Last Updated Dec 30, 2020 at 7:20 pm PDT

(Courtesy Twitter/Homicide Team)

A 14-year-old boy from Burnaby has been identified as the victim of a fatal shooting in Surrey Monday

Homicide Investigators were called to the city for the second time in less than 24 hours around 7:30 p.m. Monday

SURREY (NEWS 1130) — A 14-year-old boy from Burnaby was killed in Surrey Monday night, according to an update from police.

This boy’s death came less than 24 hours after another fatal shooting of a young man in the city, 19-year-old Harman Singh Dhesi. Police say they do not believe the two shootings are connected.

In both cases, police say burned-out vehicles were found shortly after and are being investigated as potentially linked. However, they are describing both victims as “known to the police” and both shootings as “targeted.”

The 14-year old was found with multiple gunshot wounds around 7:30 near 148A Street and 110 Avenue.

Police say he was gunned down almost immediately after being dropped off by a taxi. The driver witnessed the murder, and is traumatized but cooperative, according to investigators.

“Most of us can’t begin to fathom that someone as young as 14 years old could be shot and murdered. It’s very disturbing,” says Sgt. Elenore Sturko.

“It’s likely the public has many questions about how someone so young could be involved in a lifestyle that would put them at risk for such a violent and tragic death. Regardless of their background or circumstances, the senseless loss of life is a tragedy.”

Sturko also says residents of the city will see “targeted enforcement” and “an overt police presence” in the coming days.

RELATED STORY: Two men killed in two shootings in Surrey in less than 24 hours

Sgt. Frank Jang with The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says Dhesi was found Sunday with gunshot wounds in his vehicle, but later died of his injuries in hospital.

Dhesi was known to police, and IHIT’s number one priority is to determine a motive, Jang says.

“One of the things we’re doing is to look back into Harman Dhesi’s past and those specific interactions he had with police, and if he was with anyone during those interactions — we’re going to look into their backgrounds as well,” Jang says.

“It’s a tragic event. Harman Dhesi was 19-years-old. He was barely an adult,” Jang says, adding the man’s family is devastated to lose their son, especially given it’s happened during the holiday season.”