Loading articles...

Three more people at Vancouver's Little Mountain Place care home have died from COVID-19

Last Updated Jan 6, 2021 at 9:05 am PDT


Three more Little Mountain Place residents have died as a result of COVID-19

COVID-19 death toll at East Vancouver care home has now risen to 41

Little Mountain Place care home confirmed additional deaths with families during Zoom call on Tuesday

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – Three more residents at an East Vancouver care home — the site of B.C.’s deadliest COVID-19 outbreak — have died.

An update from Little Mountain Place provided to families on Tuesday confirmed the additional deaths, bringing the total number of virus-related casualties to 41 since Nov. 22, 2020, when an outbreak was declared at the facility.

Families were also told 53 of 99 residents who tested positive are now cleared, along with 67 of 70 infected staff.

There have been calls for greater transparency after numbers from this deadliest outbreak were only confirmed by health officials on Monday, despite families being briefed on the situation in December.

“VCH recognizes the concern families have when a COVID-19 outbreak is declared, and we want to reassure families that the health and safety of residents and staff in long-term care homes remains an utmost priority as part of Vancouver Coastal Health’s (VCH) pandemic response,” the statement to NEWS 1130 reads.

Families have told NEWS 1130 that updates on COVID-19 numbers at Little Mountain Place are not provided in writing, but only through weekly Zoom calls. Several family members who have contacted NEWS 1130 have said they are concerned about what they described as a lack of transparency. These family members have also said they do not think the home has given them an adequate explanation of how and why so many of their loved ones became sick.

Related articles: 

On Monday, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said she was “taken a bit by surprise” by the lack of details shared about the Little Mountain Place outbreak.

Health Minister Adrian Dix said efforts were being made to keep family members informed about the situation at the care home.