Loading articles...

Two children in induced comas after December crash on Highway 1

Last Updated Jan 12, 2021 at 10:37 am PST

A fundraising page has been started for a family of five after a crash on Highway 1 in December. (CityNews)

Two children are in induced comas after a driver evading police caused a devastating crash

A family of five, including three children, were sent to hospital on the morning of Dec. 27

A GoFundMe was launched to help the family now that the parents are unable to work

COQUITLAM (NEWS 1130) –Two children are still fighting for their lives and in medically induced comas, following a devastating car crash in Coquitlam, as the community pulls together to raise funds for the family.

On the morning of Dec. 27, the family of five, including three children, were taken to hospital after a speeding driver evaded police and smashed into their car on Highway 1 at the Brunette off-ramp.

Two of the children, both under the age of 13, have brain damage affecting speech and motor skills, according to a GoFundMe campaign. More than $110,000 has been raised as of Tuesday morning and is meant to help the parents, who are unable to work.

“In times of tragedy, we come together as a community to lift up the ones we love, the ones who are hurting and who need our support now, more than ever!” the fundraiser author writes. “Those of you who wish to donate can do so. Let’s pull together and help the Savic family recover both mentally & physically and pull through this tragedy,”

IIO investigating, police involved

In the moments before the crash, police had tried to pull the speeding driver over.

The Independent Investigations Office, the province’s police watchdog, continues to investigate the crash, revealing that an officer was conducting radar speed detection on Highway 1 eastbound, near Government Street, when they observed a grey Dodge Charger allegedly speeding.

The officer attempted to conduct a traffic stop but “the vehicle did not stop and exited the highway at Brunette Avenue, where it collided with another vehicle.”

The driver of the Charger, and all five occupants in the family vehicle were taken to the hospital with what police called, at the time, “serious but non-life-threatening injuries.”