Loading articles...

Quebec, Nova Scotia, Alberta, Ontario begin relaxing COVID-19 restrictions

Last Updated Feb 8, 2021 at 11:31 am PDT

Alberta chief medical officer of health Dr. Deena Hinshaw updates media on the Covid-19 situation in Edmonton on Friday March 20, 2020.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Summary

Quebec, Alberta, and Nova Scotia are relaxing some COVID-19 measures starting Monday

B.C.'s current COVID-19 measures will be in place until further notice

Ontario announced state of emergency would expire on Tuesday

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – While B.C.’s COVID-19 restrictions will be in place until further notice, four other provinces are seeing some measures reversed on Monday.

In Quebec, non-essential businesses like hair salons, shopping malls, and museums are finally being allowed to reopen after a weeks-long closure.

This comes as 853 new cases of the coronavirus are reported there, marking the lowest daily total in Quebec since late October.

In Alberta, restaurants are being allowed to reopen for in-person dining as of Monday, and one-on-one training at gyms will also be allowed to start.

Restaurants had been closed to dine-in service after a resurgence of COVID-19 late last year sent case numbers soaring. Premier Jason Kenney said reduced COVID-19 numbers have made it possible to ease some restrictions, but he has also criticized some restaurants for ignoring public health orders by opening their doors prematurely.

Sports and entertainment-related activities can also resume in schools, and the province also said over the weekend that youth will be able to take part in lessons and practices for team-based minor sports and athletics, although games are still prohibited.

Nova Scotia is allowing retail businesses and fitness facilities to begin operating at 75 per cent capacity.

The province reported just one new case of COVID-19 on Sunday, with a total of eight active cases.

Ontario to lift state of emergency

Meanwhile, Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced plans to gradually reopen the province following its state of emergency, saying the government will now move to a regional, colour-tiered approach by maintaining the shutdown in the majority of the public health regions with a stay-at-home order also being extended

The stay-at-home order will remain in effect as regions gradually transition back to the government’s colour-coded restrictions in the coming weeks.

This came as the province reported a drop in new COVID-19 cases Monday, marking the third-lowest number of daily cases since late November.

The drop in cases does come with a significant drop-off in testing, which is usually lower on Mondays following the weekend.