VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – Ontario is pushing back its spring break this year in an attempt to slow down COVID-19 infection rates, but it doesn’t seem like B.C. is considering the same plan.
The Ontario education minister announced Thursday the province would be postponing its Spring Break until April 12, a week after Easter.
Premier John Horgan addressed the idea the day before during a media briefing. He said there are no plans to amend Spring Break because the province still wants to maintain “a sense of normalcy” for K-12 students.
“I know other jurisdictions who don’t have the same opportunities for good weather as we do here in B.C.,” he said. “We don’t have the concern here. People will probably be pretty happy to stay here in British Columbia and take advantage of the opportunities we have here.”
There was a push for B.C. to extend the winter break out of concern for the number of COVID-19 cases and exposure notices at the time. Thousands of people signed a petition calling for the extension, but it never happened.
While there aren’t any plans to change up the upcoming break, Horgan is asking everyone to keep following public health orders.
“Don’t go engaging in reckless behaviour. Do your level best to stay safe and keep other people safe around you – that’s the plan at the moment.”
He’s also reiterating the same message of staying close to home and sticking to your safe bubble.
Spring Break in B.C. starts March 15 and is one to two weeks, depending on the school district.
BC #covid19 status Feb 11
LTC outbreaks going down
Avg daily deathsbelow 9
Hosp/ICU inching down
Active cases around 4300 for 3.5 weeks
New cases still 400+ daily
North deaths-1st 30 deaths took until Jan 2, last 30 deaths happened in past two weeks#bcpoli @NEWS1130 https://t.co/HkeRpb2fIe pic.twitter.com/cmVYjPSxA7
— LizaYuzda (@LizaYuzda) February 12, 2021
On Thursday B.C. reported 449 new infections and nine more deaths.
So far, 159,887 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been given, with 15,684 being second
The number of patients in hospital decreased by six to 224. Sixty-three of the patients are in intensive care.
Meanwhile, Ontario reported less than 1,000 COVID-19 infections Thursday, but that’s largely because of a reporting error out of Toronto.
-with files from the Canadian Press