VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – A Vancouver man who is accused of running an illegal nightclub out of his downtown penthouse, made another court appearance Monday, and is facing a third charge.
Mo Movassaghi was arrested on Jan. 31. Police say around 80 people were at the party that night. In addition to arresting Movassaghi, who police say had been running a “makeshift nightclub” in the midst of the pandemic, all of the guests were fined $230 “for attending a non-compliant event — contrary to the Emergency Program Act” amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Police said officers found maskless people packed into the 1,100-square-foot apartment, which had menus, tables, and cash tills.
Movassaghi has since been charged with two counts of failing to comply with COVID-19 public health orders. Another charge involving the unauthorized sale of liquor was approved on Thursday.
Earlier this month, Movassaghi started a GoFundMe with a goal of raising $100,000. The campaign only raised $260 before it was quickly taken down.
In a since-deleted post, Mohammad Movassaghi, said he was fundraising in order to “defend our right to enjoy our private property rights in the hopes of setting a precedent for my fellow Canadians. I believe what happened in the privacy of our homes should remain as such.”
Movassaghi, 42, did not appear in court in person today. His next appearance is scheduled for Mar. 22.
-With files from Miranda Fatur, Nikitha Martins, Mike Lloyd, Hana Mae Nassar, and Kathryn Tindale