Loading articles...

Britain's Prince Philip leaves hospital after treatment

Last Updated Mar 16, 2021 at 9:10 am PDT

FILE - In this Friday, Oct. 12, 2018 file photo, Britain's Prince Philip waits for the bridal procession following the wedding of Princess Eugenie of York and Jack Brooksbank in St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, near London, England. Buckingham Palace says Prince Philip has been admitted to a London hospital “as a precautionary measure.” The palace said Friday, Dec. 20, 2019 that the 98-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II is in the King Edward VII hospital for observation and treatment of a pre-existing condition. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant, file)
Summary

Prince Philip has left King Edward VII’s Hospital in London after he was admitted for an infection in mid February

Philip’s illness is not believed to be related to the coronavirus

LONDON — Britain’s Prince Philip left a London hospital on Tuesday after being treated for an infection and undergoing a heart procedure.

Philip, 99, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, had been hospitalized since being admitted to the private King Edward VII’s Hospital in London on Feb. 16, where he was treated for an infection.

He was later transferred to a specialized cardiac care hospital, St. Bartholomew’s, for a short stay, before returning to King Edward VII’s.

Photographers standing outside the door of the private hospital captured his departure. Buckingham Palace has not yet commented on the matter.

Philip’s illness is not believed to be related to the coronavirus. Both Philip and Elizabeth received COVID-19 vaccinations in January and chose to publicize the matter to encourage others to also take the vaccine.