VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) — Seven additional members of the Vancouver Canucks have been added to the NHL’s COVID Protocols list, bringing the team’s total to 14 players.
Forwards Travis Boyd, Jayce Hawryluk, Bo Horvat, Tyler Motte and Brandon Sutter, along with defenceman Tyler Myers and goaltender Thatcher Demko were the latest players added to the list.
There are now 14 #canucks on the NHL’s COVID Protocol list with Travis Boyd, Thatcher Demko, Jayce Hawryluk, Bo Horvat, Tyler Motte, Tyler Myers and Brandon Sutter joining Alex Edler, Adam Gaudette, Travis Hamonic, Braden Holtby, Quinn Hughes, Zack MacEwen and Antoine Roussel.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) April 3, 2021
The Canucks cannot return to practice until at least next Tuesday, April 6, or play a game again until Thursday, April 8, at the earliest.
However, Bik Bizzar with Sportsnet 650 says, it will likely last longer.
“The NHL has been put in a tough spot because as far as proclamations for the full season, it’s tough because you want to be able to function as your normal business,” he says. “April 6 certainly seems lofty when we considering the variants are shooting up here, both for the hockey team and for the provincial population.”
Nizzar adds it’s important to remember athletes are human beings and the virus is impacting them like the rest of the population.
“We’re all looking for a bit of a mental reprieve and sports is often users’ escape but we have to remember that these are human beings and they get to deal with this as well.”
Defencemen Alexander Edler and Quinn Hughes, forwards Zack MacEwen and Antoine Roussel, and goaltender Braden Holtby entered the league’s protocols Thursday, joining Adam Gaudette and Travis Hamonic, who entered COVID-19 restrictions earlier this week.