Loading articles...

Cirque du Soleil plans reopening of shows after shutting down due to the pandemic

Last Updated Apr 21, 2021 at 5:23 pm PDT

Performers rehearse the 'swing to swing' part of the show before a dress rehearsal for the Toronto opening of Cirque Du Soleil's latest creation 'Luzia' on Wednesday, July 27, 2016. A group of Cirque du Soleil creditors have solidified their place as the next owners of the entertainment business, which would eliminate Quebec's longstanding presence as a stakeholder of the 36-year-old troupe. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young.

MONTREAL — Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group says it is resuming shows after being closed for more than a year due to the pandemic.

The company says “O” at the Bellagio and Mystere at Treasure Island will reopen this summer in Las Vegas.

The group’s touring show division will present Kooza in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, starting in November, while Luzia will reopen at London’s Royal Albert Hall in January 2022.

The company also says its affiliate show Blue Man Group will return to the Luxor Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas this summer.

Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group cancelled its shows last year and cut nearly 3,500 employees due to the pandemic.

It was sold to a group of its creditors led by Catalyst Capital Group late last year after it was forced to file for creditor protection.