RICHMOND (NEWS 1130) – A man has been charged, nearly a year after an autistic teenager was punched in the face and suffered a concussion in Richmond.
The 18-year-old victim was playing basketball with a group of people at Richmond Secondary School on Aug. 21, 2020 when the alleged attack happened.
Two witnesses described the severity of the teen’s injuries to officers, who later tracked the victim down in hospital. The teen suffered cuts to his face, one splitting his upper lip.
Related article: Autistic teen punched in face, concussed while playing basketball outside Richmond Secondary
“Speaking to the victim’s father it’s evident the profound impact this incident has had on their family,” Cpl. Adriana O’Malley said.
“It’s very hard for any parent to find your child like that,” Harris First, the teen’s father, said last year.
“When your child has autism on top of it and doesn’t understand a lot of things that are happening … I can’t understand what could upset someone so much.”
(WARNING: Video contains disturbing content)
— CityNews Vancouver (@CityNewsVAN) August 28, 2020
Dominic Rallon Jao, 21, has been charged with assault causing bodily harm. Jao lives in Ontario.