WHITE ROCK (NEWS 1130) — White Rock council is considering moving away from its temporary, one-way traffic plan for Marine Drive, at a special meeting Monday night.
Council closed one lane in May, in order to make space for patios, in an effort to help restaurants during the pandemic.
But, it’s drawn mixed responses since then.
- Canada eases quarantine restrictions for fully vaccinated travellers
- Vancouver restaurant scraps masks for customers due to conflict
- Hiring intentions hit all-time high in Bank of Canada business outlook survey
The popular beachside town saw heavy traffic lineups for drivers as a result. Now, as the weather continues to remain hot, more and more families have been flocking to enjoy the famous White Rock Pier and oceanfront.
In May, White Rock’s mayor told NEWS 1130 traffic was expected to slow down, which could also stand as a message that the city is in the midst of the pandemic.
“Potentially there could be more traffic down there, and it could be longer to get in and out. We’re hoping people understand that White Rock is not open for business as usual,” Mayor Darryl Walker said.
But in mid-June non-essential travel across the province reopened, with many seeing a boost to tourism once again. A report from White Rock city planner found that due to the lifting of provincial restrictions, restaurants can now seat more patrons indoors, and are no longer forced to expand their services into the municipal boulevard.
Council will debate keeping the lane closed until full-indoor seating capacity returns for indoor dining. Or, moving forward with returning to two-way traffic.
Monday’s special council meeting will be livestreamed and begins at 4 p.m. Members of the public can call in and express their opinion on the closure.