VICTORIA (NEWS 1130) — After five kids under the age of 10 were taken to hospital on Friday, police in Victoria are reminding people who use cannabis edibles to keep them out of children’s reach.
According to police, the group of kids came across a package of THC gummies while at a barbecue and ingested them.
The kids were taken to the Victoria General Hospital after the parents noticed the kids acting oddly.
“The children … told them they had found candy while playing in a room and consumed it. The parents investigated and, upon discovering the “candy” were THC gummies, immediately called 911,” a statement from police reads.
Patrol officers met the parents at the hospital.
The kids were observed and released.
Investigating officers found the bag of gummies and say the packaging closely resembles a popular candy brand.
VicPD says no one is in trouble, but if you own edibles, it’s a reminder to hide them in a good spot that’s out of reach from children.
5 children – all under age 10 – went to hospital Friday after eating THC gummies, the packaging of which closely resembles a popular candy. Reminder – if you use cannabis products you must store them safely. #yyj #edibles | https://t.co/lW1QMvAKjP pic.twitter.com/DpPwpBsPNT
— Victoria Police (@vicpdcanada) July 21, 2021