Time to Shift into Winter!
NEWS 1130 is giving away a new set of Nokian tires from Mainroad Lower Mainland Contracting and Kal Tire.
As a member of the Winter Driving Safety Alliance that spearheads this campaign, Mainroad encourages you and your families, friends and colleagues to prepare your vehicles and yourselves for the upcoming season. Whether you are facing rain, fog, snow or ice, winter conditions such as colder temperatures, reduced visibility and fewer daylight hours can present serious hazards for all drivers.
Here are a few simple steps to keep you safe this winter:
- Install a set of four matched winter tires (three-peaked mountain and snowflake, or mud and snow) with at least 3.5 mm of tread depth. Don’t wait until it’s too late! Get them on now before the inclement weather hits as they provide better traction and control in the rain, snow, slush and icy conditions.
- Keep an emergency kit in your vehicle.
- Every year, give your vehicle a pre-season maintenance check-up.
Know how to drive for the conditions before you get behind the wheel. Even the most experienced drivers can’t predict how their vehicle will react in rain, snow or on ice.
- Slow down to match road conditions. The posted speed limit is the maximum speed under ideal driving conditions.
- Maintain a safe following distance. Look ahead and keep at least four seconds of distance between you and the vehicle in front.
- Know how to brake safely and get out of a skid.
- If possible, postpone your plans and avoid driving when road and weather conditions are bad.
Know before you go. If you have to travel:
- Check weather warnings and road conditions at DriveBC.ca.
- Give yourself extra time to get to your destination.
- Select the safest route. Stick to roads that have been plowed and salted, and avoid driving on steep hills.
- Tell someone where you’re going and when you expect to arrive.
- If you get stuck, stay with your vehicle.
For more information on what you can do to stay safe when driving this winter, visit ShiftIntoWinter.ca.
NEWS 1130 Insiders can enter below to win a new set of winter tires courtesy of Mainroad Lower Mainland Contracting and Kal Tire.
You must be a NEWS 1130 Insider to view this content
Contest closes Sunday, November 3rd at 11:59pm PST. Winner will be contacted by NEWS 1130 Promotions. Good luck!